Client: Government of the Federal State of Northrhine Westphalia and Water Association WVER
Location: North Rhine Westphalia, Germany
Project duration: 2015 - 2018
Key characteristics: EU Flood Risk Management Directive, flood hazard and risk maps, hydraulic calculations
The assessment and management of flood risks is stipulated by the EU Flood Risk Management Directive. This Directive requires Member States to assess if water courses are at risk from flooding, to map the flood extent and assets and population at risk in these areas and to take adequate and coordinated measures to reduce this flood risk. SYDRO was commissioned to implement the requirements for the River Rur and to assess the flood extent and generate flood risk maps in compliance with the Directive. Flow of the River Rur is strongly affected by reservoir releases. This is why the hydraulic assessment is complemented by a risk analysis of the releases of the reservoirs.
River Rur is a transboundary river and crosses the border to the Netherlands prior to its confluence with the River Meuse. This requires the coordination with the flood assessment of the Netherlands. The result will be submitted to the EU in accordance with the requirements of the second cycle of EU flood risk assessments.
- Comprehensive data analysis of the laserscan DEM model with ground truthing
- Onsite analysis
- Planning and supervision of the topographical survey of the river bed and the floodplains
- Setup of an appropriate digital elevation model for 2D hydraulic modelling
- Risk analysis of the operation of the reservoirs associating releases with probabilities
- 2D hydraulic modelling
- Generation of flood hazard and risk maps according to the EU Floods Directive
- Presentation on results, consultation and negotiation with the state authority and the water board
- 2D hydraulic modeling
- Risk analysis